Monday, April 10, 2006

The Robertson Atmosphere

Results aside, the Wizards game last weekend was a great experience. My family was among more than 20,300 of our closest friends -- and the crowd was into the game. There was a lot of noise, and the team seemed to feed off it.


Josh Wolff (who was very dangerous in the opening minutes, then was better neutralized from then on) had this to say, according to the Chronicle: "The Houston fans were rocking. They were giving us a hard time. It makes the game fun and gives it a good element. They don't cross the line, but are very supportive of their guys."

The supporters group, the Texian Army, on the north goal line was very into the match. Spirited cheers and good use of orange.

Robertson Stadium is a good size for these matches. I like the contrasts of the WPA-esque concrete edifaces, with the contemporary seating. And that pitch is like a lush, green carpet. I hope we can keep the gridlines off during gamedays in the fall.

We'll obviously want to have a soccer-specific stadium in the future, but I hope they borrow some of the excellent elements from Robertson Stadium. They can drop the overpriced food though...

I sat in Section 224 this time, which was cheap and had great site lines. I've scoped out other sections that I want to try the next time.

My wife spoke to two ladies wearing San Jose gear (same as my son, which started the conversation). They flew in from San Jose to root for the team for old times' sake. They said they really missed the guys. My wife told them that we're sorry they lost the team, but that we're really glad to have the team here. The ladies replied that we shouldn't be sorry. This game had a larger crowd than any of the San Jose games, they said, so we're giving the guys a very good home.

We hope Dynamo continue to feel welcome here.

No comments: