Thursday, April 13, 2006

Onstad, the right player

Mark Connolly has a nice article on Pat Onstad.

It seems that Pat and Youri Djorkaeff are the only MLSers older than me. They're now my favorite players.

I just wish I could find a local 30+ team so I can show my arthritic moves and pay poor homage to Pat and Youri.

Great paragraph by Connolly:
"What's amazing about Dynamo is how this team continues to play, regardless of records, the best soccer [his emphasis] in the league. They move the ball around the park better than any club, and seem to be just a little bit more unselfish than their opponents. It doesn't matter that they've lost Landon Donovan, Richard Mulrooney, Ronnie Ekelund, Jeff Agoos and Danny Califf over the past two seasons, alone. They simply re-load, re-focus and continue to be a major force in the Western Conference."

To paraphrase Onstad's reply to this observation (and blend it with a line from the hockey movie, Miracle): the best teams don't field the best players; they field the right players.

Onstad is one of the right players. And he's older than me. If you're reading this Mr. Onstad, feel free to increase the font size so it's easier for you to read this series of left-handed compliments.

No comments: