Saturday, April 07, 2007

First Kick, post facto

I really like Colorado's new field. I've always like soccer fields to be a big as possible. The stadium looked nice too, but I hate the dearth of seats behind the one goal. It's not a deserted stage like at Frisco, but it has only a few (what look like) portable bleachers. If you want to get into a GK's head, you gotta have more voices down there. I have a list of wants for the future Dynamo stadium; I’ll have to list them out someday.

I was eager to hear the new MLS theme. It did sound regal, but also somnolent and lethargic. Maybe it'll grow on me.

How about those C-Rapids? They looked surprisingly sharp and hurt Troy Perkins' numbers. He's the keeper for my fantasy team this week, so thanks a lot, Mountain Boys. Herculez Gomez looked creative (if a bit dive-y) and Terry Cooke was a maestro. The crowd looked cold.

I think it's best to have four backs on a field as wide as Commerce City's. Five mids are good, but four backs may be more essential. I do like the "wear out the opponent" strategy the Rapids have set for themselves and their new field. Every team should have a home field advantage, and hopefully the Rapids develop theirs.

For some reason, the referee was Michael Kennedy. Why not have one of the four "full-time" refs officiate the marquee match of opening day? Jair Marrufo was at the Dallas draw with RSL, Baldomero Toledo at the Chicago win over N England, and Terry Vaughn at the Tool Shed with Chivas over Toronto. Don't know where Ricardo Salazar was, but he should've been in Colorado.

As for the ESPN innovations, I liked the team formation graphics at the beginning of the show, and I also liked the info-boxes that would pop up with game-relevant info. I thought the Kick Trax replays were underutilized and poorly executed, and they relied on the graphic's pizzazz rather than on any communication of information or coherent message. Also, the video feed kept stopping and pixilating on my reception. (Was that a local thing, or did everyone have that issue?) Didn't have a problem with Julie Foudy, although she didn't add too much analysis. Dave O'Brien has the perfect voice, but strays too far off topic (stick to the play calling) and calls nearly any foul as offside.

To me, less is more. All I want is the play-by-play to tell me the names of the players on the ball or challenging for the ball at the moment it happens. I'd like the color commentator to convey the strategic situation that cannot be seen on a small screen, and to describe what a call was and why. And why does the line up have to be shown only at the beginning of the game? It should also come up at the beginning of the second half (in case we tune in late to the game) and whenever any sub comes in and changes the lineup. If the team is sliding from a 4-4-2 to a 3-5-2, overlay a graphic to the side of the screen (or one semi-transparently splashed across the screen might work) so I can visualize who is where. Give me game-relevant info! I also expected more and better camera angles. The First Kick's camera work wasn't bad (except for that transmission trouble I had), it was just not the improvement I expected. And where was the computer offside line?

Tomorrow, the Dynamo get a chance to get into an early 3-way tie for first place in the Western Conference, alongside the Rapids and Chivas.

No comments: