Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Senior Citizens unite for the Dynamo! (SuperLiga Semis)

Tonight, we go to freshman orientation for my son. I am the father of a high schooler; ergo: I am old. I remember my high school days quite clearly. Previously, I had kids that were at stages of life that were quite fuzzy in my memory, so that connection to my youth wasn't always there. I have infrequent flashes of remembrances from elementary and middle school, but now my oldest son is at a stage of life that I remember quite well. I remember, for instance, that my peers at the time had parents that were elderly and stodgy. I guess times are a-changing, because my high schooler sure doesn't have elderly and stodgy parents. Yes, I'll keep telling that to myself.

One good thing about the late start time for tonight's Dynamo game versus Pachuca is that we'll be home from freshman orientation in time to catch the game in its entirety. (Assuming I can move my walker fast enough.) Tonight's game should be a good one. The recent play of the Dynamo in league action causes some worry about their ability to control the game tonight. Pachuca is still trying to gain its season form, but its two wins in recent league play show the team to be dangerous already.

Last time we played Pachuca in Houston, we were in pre-season form and Pachuca looked sharp. Nonetheless, we took the game 2-0. This time, Pachuca knows they won't have a second leg to make up for a bad result, so they'll be more focused on the field.

We're also going to be hindered by Stuart Holden's absence due to injury. He has become an important part of the team's attack (a la Hunter Pence), but his appearance was due to another injury: Brad Davis' unfortunate injury. Perhaps Holden's absence will lead to another revelation from the team's depths. I don't think we're going to see Ashe (at least, not early), so it'll probably be Jaqua filling in for Holden. I don't mind Jaqua much as a forward, but I'm still not sold on him as a middie, even though that's where he cut his teeth with the Chicago Fire.

Perhaps the most cutting injury is Ricardo Clark, if he indeed does not play. Mulrooney is a good journeyman at D-Mid, but Clark is a defensive stalwart, an offensive threat, and a player with flair -- all rolled into one. Paired with D-Ro in the middle, we have a core that makes the Dynamo among the most potent in the MLS, if not the most potent. Without that core, we can still do the job, but it's more difficult and our usual flair is replaced with sheer doggedness. That's not as fun to watch, but injuries sometimes force a team to concentrate on the result, not the entertainment. I'm cool with that.

Ryan Cochrane is another player that will be out due to injury. I'm not a fan of Cochrane's, but his absence does weaken our depth in the back. Go get 'em, Ianni.

(And the recurring ankle injury to Dalglish again rears its head. It looks like we won't see him for a while. He wants to return next season, but do we need an expensive third option at forward?)

Tonight we need to control the pace and possession in the middle and stay organized in the back, or else we'll be easy pickens. We also need to keep possession as much as possible in Pachuca's half to put more green between them and our goal, giving us time and space to react to their attacks.

Here's my prediction: the home crowd carries the Dynamo to a 1-0 lead. Pachuca opens up the field in an attempt to equalize, and we score a second goal in the second half. Pachuca halves the deficit before the finale, but the Dynamo end up on top, 2-1. I'd be okay with that.

If I read the SuperLiga rules correctly, a Dynamo win means we host the final regardless of who wins the LA-DC match. (Our 7 points beats their point totals.) A home game with hardware on the line is a good thing. I'd sure like to get this trophy, and we're only 2 games away, which makes it much more likely than the Supporters' Shield or MLS Cup at this point.

Now, where'd I put my walker...

Go 'Mo!

No comments: