Saturday, August 04, 2007

Catching up on the hometeam

After a whirlwind trip through So-Cal (Houston-Ontario-Temecula-Escondido-San Clemente-Mission Viejo-Santa Ana-Houston), it seems H-Mo has been busy with SuperLiga. On my travels, I was equipped with only a Blackberry and hotel televisions, so I wasn't able to view the games, only the results.

It seems the pattern was thus:

H-Mo vs Club América: Dynamo were very attack-minded, and only the Net Virus that occasionally strikes our favorite team kept the score from being much more one-sided than the 1-0 score, with Jaqua netting the lone goal.

H-Mo vs Morelia: Dynamo (Ngwenya) scores in the first 10 seconds and the team plays a solid first half, then takes the second half off until miscommunication in the back gives Morelia the equalizer, igniting the tired Dynamo again...but the winning goal was not to be found. Stuart Holden plays like a man possessed.

H-Mo vs DC United: In a sluggish performance, Dynamo squeak past their MLS foes to advance to the Semi-Finals. Ching scores the Dynamo's requisite 1 goal for the game.

As I said, I haven't seen any of the games (though I have the first two recorded), so I can't comment on the veracity of the above summaries. I guess I'll have to lurk about bigsoccer.com to see what the general attitude is amongst the fans.

So, undefeated with a 2-0-1 record, Dynamo faces Pachuca in the Semis with an opportunity to avenge their CONCACAF Champions Cup loss. Playing at Robertson and in mid-season form, this is an excellent opportunity for the Orange to advance to the finals and the million dollar prize...assuming that fatigue doesn't get the best of them.

But first things first. Tonight we're in Salt Lake facing ReAL Salt Lake. RSL is at the bottom, and we're at the top, which leads us to the logical conclusion of an inevitable Dynamo victory. But, as we all know, soccer isn't always logical. RSL is hungry and we're tired, so bad things could happen.

At least I get to settle down in my recliner, turn on The Tube, and watch my Orange battle it out after my week-long abstinence from fandom. I'll certainly fight to keep my eyes open (I flew in on the red-eye this morning from California), and hope to be rewarded with another Dynamo victory, which would bring our wins for the season equal to the total for last season: 11.

Go Orange! Keep me awake!

No comments: