Saturday, September 09, 2006

The Day After Tomorrow

It is Monday, the day after tomorrow. Let's look back at what the weekend has wrought.

Early Saturday, I had an epiphany and quickly outlined a narrative that will, within a few months, become a novel that will be the voice of a generation. My wife was so moved by my conceptual plot that she coerced me to quit my job and work on the book full time.

Oh, I also fixed the gate to the backyard. It's a beaut.

Later that same day, Columbus beat Chicago and the Revs tied the Red Bulls. DC United, buoyed by a brace from Jaime Moreno, beat a scoreless RSL and the Wizards gave their new ownership something to celebrate by beating the Rapids (though Beckerman does manage a goal). FC Dallas managed to eke out a tie with Chivas USA; but Carlos Ruiz, who sat out the match due to yellow card accumulation, will be forced to miss his next match on Wednesday because further video review of past games proved he's a chronic cheater. Ruiz cries pitifully on camera and eventually becomes a fine, upstanding forward who scores goals without flopping.

In college football, the Longhorns beat the Buckeyes 28-17. Colt McCoy shines and our defense is dominating.

On Sunday, Dynamo beat the Gals 3-1, with goals from Ching (2) and DeRo offsetting a lone goal by Donovan.

So here it is, Monday, the day after tomorrow. I've complied with my wife's wishes and have quit my job. Now I'm sipping Kona coffee in my leather chair, having just written the first three chapters of my novel. UT is now #1 in the college rankings. The MLS Western standings are now thus: FC Dallas has 46, Houston has 39, Colorado has 35, Chivas USA has 35, and the Gals and the RSLers remain at 32. (Unbeknownst to me, FCD is about to begin a horrible slump and Houston is about to begin a powerful winning streak.)

Oh my Fantasy Team? Balder Dash? It has further distanced itself from the others in its division.

Now I think I'll go eat a piece of apple pie then take a nap before taking a walk in the 70 degree weather. Cheers.

No comments: