Saturday, June 03, 2006

Venting 'bout Pundits

You know me. I'm a positive guy. I have played soccer and continue in some parody of it even today. I coach kids encouragingly. I realize this sport is difficult, and I know its challenges. Because of this, I can recognize talent and the lack thereof.

Talent lies on the field. The lack of it often lies in the hand of pundits.

What am I talking about?

Well, for one, I am sick and tired of the Ching-bashing in the media. I have absolutely no problem with individuals (be they writers or just opinionated fans) who think Twellman would be a good choice for the USMNT. They may be correct, although my opinion is that the current team structure isn't conducive to bringing out the best in Twellman.

My problem is with the paid pundits who feel a need to incessantly condemn Ching. The worst culprit is Jamie Trecker of Fox Sports. He seems to wallow in negatively, reveling under the false belief that his cynicism translates into a cutting-edge, contrarian view. His negativity is further evinced in his treatment of Brian Ching. Trecker, like many soccer hacks, seems to have some sort of vendetta against Ching, and it is getting really old.

When Ching was first selected, Trecker wrote "A shock call-up that takes a gamble on Ching's MLS performance and fitness. He's not the choice I would have made... Sadly, Taylor Twellman, who has unquestionably been more effective in MLS, failed the same test that Ching passed; were I Twellman, I'd be wondering just what this test was."

[In fairness, Trecker also did write of Ching "but he's in form and perhaps worth the gamble," but that's the most positive comment we'll see from him.]

What really set me off is the recent blog where Trecker says he and his buddy were drinking and talking and "neither of us could figure out just what Brian Ching is doing on the roster"

And this was posted on May 31, after the Venezuela game. Hello? Are your preconceived notions that blinding?

I'm truly fed up with these vituperations; and I don't understand how anyone can question Ching's inclusion after his performance vs. Venezuela. I thought his performance was exemplary even beyond his fantastic goal. He had several dangerous chances and had some awesome passing combinations and flick-ons from the halfway line forward...but little has been said about this.

I am not a Ching apologist, but I despise inequity wherever it is found, particularly when it is promulgated by sanctimonious pundits (and Trecker is not the only culprit).

That venting was good therapy. I feel better.

If you want some (irreverent) insight from a writer with on field and off field talent, check out Jimmy Conrad's bizarre viewpoints. He ain't right in the head.

No comments: