Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Democratization of Ignorance

Ignorance does not seem to worry about one's line of work. It seems that the sports writers and soccer pundits in the national media and in local markets nationwide, were wrong with 4 or more of their guesses as to the 23-man roster for the US World Cup team.

No one got it completely right. The closest anyone got was by missing only 2...and I know of only two people that missed only 2:

Glenn Davis here in Houston thought Berhalter would go and he left off Conrad. He obviously thought that Berhalter's World Cup experience and experience in the German leagues would make him a likely candidate. I didn't think he'd make it based on his recent performance with the USMNT, particularly his abyssmal performance versus Germany that led to all four goals against us.

I thought Albright would go (based on his recent form and his versatility) and that Hejduk would not (based on his limitations). I know Arena likes Hejduk for his indefatigability, strength, and experience, but Hejduk has limitations as a defender that I thought would open the door for Albright.

There you have it: Glenn and I should be making a living as soccer pundits...oh, I guess he is.

No comments: