Saturday, May 10, 2008

2008's first Three pointer

Dynamo get their first win tonight, thanks to the Rapids and their poor record at Robertson.

This game seemed to be one of irony. I thought we played one of our weakest matches, yet we got our best result so far this season. The ref seemed to have trouble calling the game, but his decision in 87th minute set us up for the winning goal. We have some of the best shooters in the league, but had only 3 shots on goal and could only score with a PK and an easy side-footer into an open net. BoBo made a fantastic goal-saving block in the second half; Robinson got beat and allowed the equalizer. There were no fireworks in the sky, but there were some on the field and in the bench area. The weather was hot and sticky, but the night was beautiful because we finally got 3 points.

Sitting with my two sons in Section 118, we were at the wrong end of the field to get the best viewing angle during the MIOs aggressive play in the first half. We also were at the wrong end in the second half when the MIOs defensive stance kept the ball at the far half of the field. At least we were well positioned to see the final press after Colorado got their equalizer. We were there as Mullan fought his tireless battles along the flank. (We also saw Mullan steal the ball off a 'Pid defender, then get tackled from behind and somehow MULLAN got called for a foul -- part of that "trouble calling the game" thing I mentioned above.) We could see Mulrooney as he combined with Mullan (and later, less effectively, with Cameron) to try to open up the flank. We could see DeRo and his entourage of two (and sometimes three) opponents surrounding him and shutting him down. Luckily, we didn't have a close up view of Ching's sad, sad miss in the 18th (and less dramatically around the 27th) minute when he lobbed the keeper and lobbed the goal as well.

When I saw that, I told my kids, "That's it. It's in his head now. He feels cursed. We're not going to see a score from Ching tonight." But he proved me wrong, thankfully. Yeah, it took an open goal and an easy side-footer, but he did get the goal. (On the replay on the Jumbotron, it looked like he may have opened up the goal by fluffing his first touch, which fooled the keeper. I'll have to check that out.)

Now we've got the monkey off our back, we've got some goals, and we've got three points. Let's try to build momentum. If possible, lets try to combine beautiful play with earning three points. But for tonight, the three points was enough. I'm content.

Hopefully the locker room is upbeat and raring to go. We've got more points to earn.

Tomorrow is Mother's Day, so I'll be feting the wife and entertaining kids and will be unable to watch my DVR of the game I'm sure. I'm curious to watch it because I want to see if we were playing defensive in the middle of the second half, if we were tired, or if we just couldn't match Colorado in the midfield when they slipped into a 3-5-2. Our passes just weren't connecting and we couldn't establish a rhythm, much less set up a solid scoring opportunity. Whatever the reason, it led to a long 10-15 minutes where it looked like Colorado was destined to score.

I also want to see the hand ball. I didn't notice it in the match (it happened on the end of the field where we were sitting, but on the opposite side of the field), but was glad the ref did.

I might fast forward past the 18th minute so I don't have to see Ching miss that one opportunity. But credit to him: he fought hard throughout the match.

Did you see The Dom and Fernando Clavijo chatting it up in the center circle for most of the warm up? That was pretty cool. I didn't realize until I read the game day flyer that they had been teammates on the USMNT.

That's it for now. Happy three points, Dynamo; and to all a good night.

P.S. Go Fulham. Tomorrow is it: do or die.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah, buddy. We got lucky, but a win is a win. We didn't get lucky because of the ref because he made the right call. We got lucky because Ugo (name?) used his hand in the box. Colorado whined about the call, but if Ugo didn't use his hand, the ball would have fallen at the feet of Mullan (i think it was him) who was rushing into the path of the ball. Ugo's hand was not only illegal but it helped prevent a shot on goal.

Anonymous said...

I think it was Barrett running into the box when Ihemelu's hand got in the way. Justice prevailed when the Dynamo got that call.

"BoBo" was the man of the match if you ask me. He played solid.

I agree that we dominated the first half and we dominated after the Colorado goal in the second. We deserved that win. We deserved to have some of the past bad luck reversed last night. Now we deserve to get 3 points in NY!!

Anonymous said...

Oops. I mean Chicago not NY. I knew it was one of those northern cities.