Monday, July 02, 2007

How I'd change things up for Paraguay

Tonight we meet a Paraguay team that posted an impressive 5-0 victory over Colombia. (Maybe "Los Cafeteros" should have called up JP Angel and Juan Toja after all.) We've faced Paraguay four times, with us winning twice and drawing twice. That means zilch of course.

If I ran the zoo, this is the lineup I'd select for the US, partly because I think it might work, partly because I just want to shake things up, and partly because I don't get into trouble if things go awry. I still think the forward selection is the weakest pool of talent we've brought with us, but our wide defenders could be the most troublesome weakness. Still, if our forwards could stretch out the opposition and set them back on their heels, it would make things easier for our harried defense.

GK: Keller (stay with experience one more game as long as we have hopes of advancing)
DEF: Wynne (one more chance to see if he learned from the first match...but if not, then he might be the first sub out), DeMerit, Conrad, Pearce
MID: Nguyen (an exciting prospect?), Clark, Feilhaber, Bornstein (it's not his normal position, but I think his strengths and weaknesses would work here)
FOR: Johnson (yet another chance), Davies (a first chance)

Olsen would be the first sub of the second half if we are fortunate to have a lead to protect.

It was pure coaching brilliance on Bradley's part to ensure our first game blowout makes Paraguay overconfident coming into this match...go US!

No comments: