Friday, July 28, 2006

Dynamo Fan Attendance

The past few times I've been to Robertson Stadium, it seemed the Dynamo fans aren't coming out in the numbers seen at the beginning of the year. It's no surprise that attendance has diminished somewhat since the initial novelty has worn off. Humans are fickle creatures to be sure. But check out this downward trend...

(I couldn't find numbers for the May 20 game versus the Fire, so I just put down 15K here. While I was at the game, I noticed we couldn't get the Wave going around the stadium once. I think the enthusiasm level suggests a lower actual fan count.)

We are currently at an average of 15,700 (including the 15K guess for May 20). This average isn't too bad, but the trend has been solidly below 15,000 since the blip for the FCD game (which will always be a draw) in early May. I don't think the NY Soft Drinks will be a big draw this weekend, so I will predict that the attendance will also be below 15,000 -- but hopefully I'm wrong.

We only have four more regular season games being played at Robertson (not including the US Open Cup match versus Carolina Dynamo -- and any further Cup matches should we progress -- nor the LAG match, which will be held at Reliant Stadium). This means we have little opportunity to push the average above 15,000. Can we do it? Can we show the team that we are a soccer city and they are in our hearts? Let's hope so...but it takes more than hope. Go out and buy some tickets. Bring some friends. Instill a passion for the world's game as we make it Houston's game.

And while we hold up our end of the bargain, Dynamo, you need to do the same. Beat the Soft Drinks tomorrow.

No comments: